Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth
Update: Yamaha MD-BT01 (Firmware 1.0.4) can connect to iOS11.3 compatible device.
Quit any MIDI/Bluetooth related applications (MIDI Check included) on your iPad/iPhone before connecting to the MD-BT01. If not; even if you have connected to the device, MIDI related application will not see it in available MIDI devices list (accourding to manufacturers manual).
How To Connect
Even device and connection is pretty stable in use, first connection needs some steps to follow.
- Download the FREE official Yamaha MD-BT01 app from App Store.
- Plug the device to MIDI In and MIDI Out respectively. (see photo below)
- Go to iPhone/iPad Main System Settings▷Bluetooth here you will see previously paired devices. And system automatically will search for new available devices. Now, we can close this page by pressing home; because without running the official connection application MD-BT01 Utility will not be visible here. (We’ve just prepared the bluetooth connection page for the next step.)
- Launch the MD-BT01 Utility app. In the first page of the app, you should see all MD-BT01’s in the bluetooth capture range are availible for connection. You can select, update firmware version (it needs current version 1.0.3 for the time being) and give a custom name for your MD-BT01. Remember; when you select a device in list view (it will show details about the device); every time you turn back to list view, connection will be renewed and you’ll see the bluetooth symbol either blinking or bold on the status bar of your iPad/iPhone.
- As first connection established by MD-BT01 app now we should quickly switch to the System->Bluetooth settings by double pressing on Home button and returning to bluetooth settings. (On iOS 11 you should be very fast for this step.)
- At this point you should see the MD-BT01 device in discovered device list (OTHER DEVICE section )
- Press on and see that it moves to MY DEVICES list. Around 3-4 seconds will establish the connection correctly.
- Connection is done. You can launch any MIDI app whenever you want to use (check with MIDI Check). Remember: Don’t ever quit official MD-BT01 connection application.
Step 7 : When you switch from MD-BT01 Utility app to system bluetooth settings, sometimes you can see that MD-BT01 is in MY DEVICES list as if it is automatically connected. This is not permanent/real connection. Wait a few seconds, it will move to OTHER DEVICE section, now you can select and establish persisting connection.
Every time you want to connect after any disconnection; you have to select the MD-BT01 in bluetooth devices list. There is no any automatic connection after connection interruption. This is not a con of the device. But it is using a special Bluetooth protocol for faster communication. So it is not reacting like other bluetooth devices.